Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sci Girls Training

Last week I was lucky enough to attend a wonderful professional development given by my county on the Sci Girls curriculum. Sci Girls is a program by PBS that incorporates TV, Internet, and hands on activities. The goal of Sci Girls is to engage female students in STEM. The professional development was intended to give us background information about the program and how it can help girls with their understanding in Science and Math. During the professional development we were able to view resources and see examples of the hands on activities being done by real students. The activities were great in that they related our Science curriculum to real life. At the end of the professional development we were given all the resources that we viewed, which was my favorite part. So often we attend professional developments that try and sell us a product that is usually very expensive. I am really trying to incorporate this program into my school within the next year. I think it would be very well received by the population at our school. I never been a part of an after school program, so I am nervous about the logistics of setting up the meetings and finding a space. I do think because there are such great resources available at no cost it would a great program to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment